Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Our Story

My brothers and I. Aaron (middle), Luke (right) and Alex.

Visual Medical was inspired by many brave individuals who have managed severe, chronic illness with tremendous perseverance and unbelievable grace. It is our mission to discover and develop products through medically sound approaches for disease management incorporating the importance of:
  • Education- To streamline teaching of disease self-management techniques with tangible and efficient methods to promote the best self-care possible.
  • Accessibility- For our products to be understood, easily accessed and utilized across age, cultural, socio-economic background and cognitive ability.
  • Empowerment- By providing tools for innovative and creative chronic disease management.
The story that built Visual Medical begins with my experience as a sibling to brothers who were medically complex. Fate would have it that my youngest brother’s life was almost taken from him during a near SIDS episode at 3 months old, as a result Alex suffered from a severe lack of oxygen. For 20 years he has utilized a wheelchair, dependent to be fed, bathed or moved in any way. He does not have the ability to communicate verbally, however we know by the twinkle in his eye he possesses deep understanding for the workings of the world around him. Our family dynamic changed again, when my brother Luke was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 5. He has shown a tremendous amount of resilience throughout his life, faithfully checking his glucose levels and administering insulin numerous times a day.  Despite the daily demand of managing his diabetes, Luke has an easy laugh and is one of the most wonderful young men I know.   My parents had the superhuman task of care-taking 4 children, two of which had complicated life consuming medical conditions. At best things were hectic; however my parents took the task head on creating their own systems to keep track of the enormity of health related duties. Through all this they searched for ways to soften the blows, laugh and have fun. My siblings and I learned priceless lessons on empathy and flexibility, encouraging us to give the world a deeper look and with open hearts embrace need around us.

 I now have three beautiful boys of my own, of whom my oldest, Carter, is on the autism spectrum. In addtion to social delays, his physical health has also presented challenges, struggling with asthma, neurological tics, Graves disease and other rheumatologic issues.  He is brilliantly smart, funny and a very important part of our family, though his care takes careful thought and consideration. Our lives became more complicated 2 years ago upon the diagnosis of my husband’s stage 4 lymphoma. During his treatment, I tried my hardest to keep on top of his care, however sometimes the enormity of our situation was lost on people and medical staff would become impatient when we were late for an appointment or would misstep in some other minor issue. I wished there was a way for them to gain insight into the complexity or our lives and understand we were doing the best we could.

Having 10 years of experience in the healthcare field has brought a unique understanding to the medical diagnoses of my loved ones. I knew the medical community could do better,  when my husband's complicated lab and chemo schedule involved running with our little ones for hours at a time, or when Carter received his autism diagnosis - being abruptly presented with a handbook and sent on my way. There was room to try harder, empathize more and dig deeper to provide better, more holistic care.

Inspired by my parents, brothers, son, husband and patients I have cared for over the years. I want to make chronic disease management easier. In the crazy of everyday life, I want families to feel successful and competent when taking care of themselves or a loved one and maybe have some fun while doing it.
In the next few days I will be posting images of our first product offering TARTOOS. Visual Medical has a goal to keep this product at no or minimal cost to the patients who would utilize it. In order for this to happen-interest has to be sparked! We are hoping by the power of social media our story will be shared and we can create a fire under our little business. We have set a goal of having 20,000 individuals register on our LaunchRock site. Registration only will present us with documented interest for our product, your information will not be shared, no obligation or purchases required. Once you have visited http://tartoos.launchrock.com/  please fill in the required fields and repost on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest!

Rachael


jacquesrachael1@gmail.com
rj@myvisualmedical.com



No comments:

Post a Comment